Ryan Incorporated Central has been shaping the earth since 1884. The Company started in Janesville, Wisconsin with a team of mules building railroad embankment in Southern Wisconsin and Northern Illinois. As it grew, it added road work and mining in the early 1900's. By the 1940's, the Company had become a full-service grading contractor serving both private industrial and public transportation customers, including some of the original work at what would become O'Hare Airport. During the 1970's and 1980's, it expanded to include landfill construction and waste remediation, and in the 1990's added golf course construction. Today, Ryan Incorporated Central is one of the nation's premier mass excavation and site-work contractors with expertise in residential, commercial, transportation, entertainment, energy and environmental work. This includes extensive experience in power and industrial site-work, state-of-the-art municipal and industrial landfill construction and capping, and full-service golf course construction.
As the Company's capabilities have grown, it has also expanded geographically, having successfully completed projects in 25 states. While Janesville, Wisconsin is still the Company's corporate headquarters, it has offices in Elgin, Illinois and Hagerstown, Maryland and a permanent presence throughout the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions.
From horses to motor scrapers, from railroad embankments to power plants, landfills, subdivisions, golf courses and a steadily expanding geographical region, the Company has evolved and grown over the past 130 years. Despite the evolution and passing of time the entire organization's commitment to safety, service, excellence and integrity remains unchanged.
Patrick W. Ryan began an earthmoving company specializing in railroad construction. In 1913, William H. Ryan, Patrick's oldest son and a graduate Civil Engineer, started P.W. Ryan Sons, an earthmoving firm which became one of the first road-building organizations in the State of Wisconsin.
William, Thomas, and Donald Ryan, the sons of William H. Ryan, upon graduation as Civil Engineers, began their own highway building partnership, Ryan Brothers Company. In 1957, Ryan Incorporated of Wisconsin was created to better serve the growing business.
Throughout the 1970's and 1980's, operations expanded to serve clients on a nationwide basis. In 1985, Ryan Incorporated Central was formed under the management of the fourth generation of Ryans: Patrick, Matthew, Nancy and Adam to continue this tradition of service.